Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Simple Living: The New Normal





Living simply wasn't popular when I started my simplicity journey. In fact, I've felt like an oddball for most of the years since I chose to let go of a great job and live my life with less stuff. I live in a neighborhood of relatively small homes. The realtor called our house a starter home when we bought it in 1986. Our modest neighborhood (with scattered run down homes) is tucked in a very high income area in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, yet I am abundantly contented. 

In my past, there was a fierce battle inside me as I've resisted getting sucked into materialism. During my twenties, I really battled with wanting to have more. I can see now that the desire to have more was actually my way of trying to fill the yearnings in my soul that can only be filled by God.

Since then I found contentment through a deep and personal relationship with Jesus.


I learned the hard way that contentment doesn't come from material things. After a long season of financial hardship, my husband started a new career in the medical diagnostics (Biomedical Engineering) field in 2010. We have been on a mountaintop ever since. Being in the valley sure caused us to deeply appreciate the blessings. Going through the hard times taught me that we are given more to help others. God blesses us so we can bless those in need.


I want to spend the rest of my life serving others and living a life of purpose. Those things go hand in hand with simplicity.

In recent months, I discovered some great blogs about simply living. I was amazed at how simple living appears to be popular and maybe even the new normal. I don't feel like an oddball anymore. 

A new book, "Simple Living—thirty days to less stuff and more life" by Lorilee Lippincott was released this week. I truly believe this book could help bring radical change. We need change in America for sure. With high levels of stress from jobs and a hectic pace of life in our society, this book is a great tool for attaining a calm and peaceful lifestyle. The reader is taken step by step through the process of simplifying all aspects of life including not only clutter control, but time management, money management, relationships, social media and more. The book is packed with practical tips, websites, and suggestions for gaining more simplicity. Yet, it is a simple book that is enjoyable to read. Anyone who wants to improve their quality of life, give more to others and make a difference in the world will love this book.


Grab your copy here (PDF or Kindle format) for .99 cents this week. I can promise you'll be glad you did.


Live Abundantly!
Amy  

Disclaimer:  I am honored to be a part of the launch team for, "Simple Living - thirty days to less stuff and more life." I received  a complimentary copy of the book and the opportunity to interact with the other team members. I am not receiving any payment for my participation. And I'm not getting paid for my written reviews. I'm delighted to help Lorilee Lippincott get the message out about living free from clutter.

No comments: