Sunday, September 30, 2012

Contentment

No matter how much we may try not to be spoiled, I believe it is inevitable while living in America. We have been such a blessed nation. We are so used to having luxuries that people in other developing countries couldn't even fathom.

When my husband lost his great paying job in 1989 and after I chose to work less and eventually quit working in the corporate world to focus on parenting, our income dropped close to the poverty level. God began restructuring our thinking. Those years of having very little income were truly a gift to us.

I learned that contentment comes deep from within the soul. 

Paul said it best... But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that (1 Timothy 6:6-8).
 

Today, I am content and I pray I always will be. I am content not because my husband has a great job now—and not because we have plenty of money coming in each month. I am content because every morning when I wake up I feel the love of Christ embracing my soul. I feel His Spirit consuming my being as I begin a new day of life. It's a contentment that can never come from any amount of money or stuff. It is eternal.

In a world where worth is defined by what we own and what we do for a living, we have been able to learn to put our faith and values in spiritual things.  

When I am gone from this earth I want to be remembered by my loving and generous heart. 


One of my all time favorite quotes sums up what's important in this life: "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of house I lived in, how much money was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like. But the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child."

I want to make a difference in the world.

I want people to say, "Amy lived a simple life, she poured herself out sacrificially to others. She didn't have too much materially but she was rich in love and spiritual wisdom."

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18

Live Abundantly!

Amy



No comments: