Thursday, July 19, 2012

Finding Abundance in Simple Living



But take heed to yourselves and be on your guard, lest your hearts be overburdened and depressed (weighed down) with the giddiness and headache and nausea of self-indulgence, drunkenness, and worldly worries and cares pertaining to [the business of] this life, and [lest] that day come upon you suddenly like a trap or a noose. ~ Luke 21:34 (Amplified Bible)                                                                                      

Read Matthew 6:19-21

It seems that every time I find a sweet spot in my life, something is thrown my way to sabotage the simple life I've been seeking for many years. Over 15 years ago, I read an article in the faith section of my local paper about how simplicity and following Jesus go hand in hand. Shortly after reading the article, I began getting rid of unneeded stuff and making changes in my life.

Last fall, I had progressed in my journey of simple living to the point that I had no unnecessary stress in my life. And out of nowhere, a ministry opportunity got thrown in front of me. I was drawn to it and was thinking about diving in with my whole heart.  But the Lord intervened on my behalf. He showed me that I had finally found a peaceful, slow pace in my life and that I shouldn't be tempted to spoil it by spending time on a ministry that wasn't in His ordained plan for me. He wanted for me to be content in the place He had me. After spending time sitting in silence, I heard Jesus speaking to me about simplicity in my life. I wrote the words in my journal.

I have called you to intercession. See it as an honor to be at home. Be content in your hidden place. You have found the gift of being hidden in My love and in My presence. Stay focused on Me. Do not be tempted to do what you see others doing. I have a perfect plan designed especially for you. Don't jump ahead of Me. Simply wait and enjoy the quiet times. Enjoy your husband. Enjoy your daughter. Enjoy your son. Enjoy a simple life with Me. Aim for simplicity and you will have abundance in your life. An abundance of spiritual fruit is what you should seek daily to grow and cultivate. Maintain a simple life and you will continually live in abundance. Savor this season of rest and don't step off the path with Me.

After hearing the sweet words of Jesus, I immediately canceled all plans to move forward with the ministry opportunity. What freedom for my soul!

There is no greater place than being where Christ has planted us. There is an abundance of joy, goodness, and peace found in simple living. May we—the followers of Christ—always enjoy the splendor and beauty found in living a simple life with Him.

Live Abundantly!
Amy

No comments: