Thursday, August 4, 2011

Living on the Edge

Over the years, I’ve read about those people known as adrenaline junkies who thrive on the high they get from living on the edge. Well, I haven’t bungee jumped off a cliff. But you could call me an adrenaline junkie for sure!

My journey on the adventuresome road with God began several years ago when my husband, Michael, and I were in the midst of an extreme test. Michael’s graphic design business was drying up, putting us in great need. During this season of testing, my heart was filled with questions: Would God lead us to the jobs we need? Would He rescue us in time? I woke up early one morning and prayed a final plea for God’s intervention. 

I was longing to know that our needs were going to be met. This day our need was for groceries. As I prayed, I heard God in my heart, asking me, “Do you trust me?” My response was, “Yes, I do.”

Within hours of my prayer that morning, God’s rescue mission was underway. It started with an unexpected call from my friend, Lisa. We hadn’t been in touch for months. It was God’s providence for her to call. I shared about our circumstances, which led to an invitation to her home. I accepted the invitation to visit her later in the day.

When I arrived at Lisa’s home, I was surprised to be greeted by a group of my friends. The floodgates opened to my soul and the tears came pouring out. At this moment I knew this was God’s answer to my call. Each friend prayed for me. Then they led me to the surprise that was awaiting me. It was surreal when I walked into a room filled with groceries – enough to fill 36 bags. It was more than my heart could take in at once. It was truly an "Extreme Grocery Makeover!"

God made a statement that day. He wants all of us, as His children, to believe that He is able to do abundantly more than we could ever hope for or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). He used a group of ladies to pull together an incredible act of God. That one act changed my heart for all eternity. The words of James were inscribed onto my heart through this experience. James 1:2-3 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." My perspective suddenly changed. I considered it pure joy.

God allows circumstances in our lives that require us to have complete trust in Him. He wants for us to wait on Him, so that our faith can grow. Are you ever tempted to jump ahead of God when the Holy Spirit is prompting you to "Wait?" During difficult seasons there are steps we can take to draw closer to God's heart and experience His perfect peace while we wait:

1. Pray daily with your spouse or prayer partners.
2. Seek counsel and encouragement from a trusted Christian friend or leader.
3. Fast for clarity to hear God's voice.

Each time I wait on the Lord and seek Him wholeheartedly--He takes me to the edge. It's ALWAYS worth the wait to see God reveal His power in the most supernatural ways. In 2008, be daring and experience the high of living on the edge!
  
This article was originally written in February, 2008 for Intercessory Prayer Network of the Southeast.

No comments: